Macintosh Bulk Dump Utilities and Instructions
There are many free and inexpensive programs for handling
bulk data on a Macintosh computer. Some of them can be found at Harmony
Central's MacSoftware Page.
I use a combination of BulkSysex for recieving bulk data from my PSR-500, and SendIt
for sending bulk data from the the Mac to the PSR-500. There are alternative
approaches that may work better for you. Digging around at Harmony Centralmay be of some help. Of course, both of these programs will work on the
PSR-400 as well. Both of these programs are FREEware. Apple
Midi Manager is required to use SendIt. Bulk Sysex is an older program
that bypasses the Midi Manager and connects directly to the serial port
This discussion assumes that you have a midi interfaceconnected to one of the serial ports of your computer, and that you have
connected your Yamaha to the midi interface with midi cables. Once you
have that, you can use the bulk dump and midi files on this site. Bulk
data is stored in the Yamaha PSR-400/500 PAGE MEMORY banks.
Toreceive a bulk dump from the Yamaha you could do the following;
- Launch Bulk Sysex.
- In the Midi menu set the Port to the one which your midi
interface is connected to.
- To be sure that you have a midi connection, you can use
the Mouse Play option. It's fun!
- Choose Bulk Sysex from the Midi menu.
- Set the file type to BULK, so that SendIt will recogize
your dump file.
- Click the Recieve button.
- Now, push MIDI BULK DUMP on your Yamaha, and select a
PAGE to dump.
- The Yamaha read out will indicate a dump in progress.
- If your setup is correct, the Bulk sysex file size will
- It is expected that PSR-400 dumps are smaller than PSR-500
- In about 30 seconds the dump will be finished. The window
will look something like this.
- Save the dump to your hard drive and you are finished!
- Bulk Sysex may be too fast to send the data back to your
- To send the file back to the Yamaha, just quit Bulk Sysex
and drop the file on SendIt.
to PSR-400/500 Home Page
If you have questions or contributions about this page, pleaselet me